Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Thursday 4 June 2015

AMBITION: The pressures of academia

There was a period of time in the last academic year in which I focused on only one of my GCSE subjects. It was a subject that had eluded me since the days of primary school, when my classmates proceeded onto the “fun” challenges of extra work and I was left staring at a blank calculator screen. It was, up until year 11, universally acknowledged that I couldn’t do maths. I just couldn’t.

I hated the numbers. I hated how somehow the alphabet got involved with all the numbers. And as if that wasn’t complicated enough, somehow the Ancient Greek alphabet got involved with the numbers too and there were special signs to show different things and I couldn’t keep track of any of them because they all looked the same and it felt like I was drawing squiggles on past papers and getting marks for it anyway.

By Year 11, I was predicted a B. This letter always frustrated me whenever it was mentioned by tutors or teachers or parents, because I felt I could do better. And I could. I had spent so much time telling myself that I couldn’t do maths that I failed to realize how many people were worse at it than me. And so I worked, with the help of my selfless teacher who gave up some of her lunchtimes to help me, a friend in the year above who went over any questions I was stuck on and my sister, who threw revision books at me like I was the middle of a dartboard and she wanted the perfect score. I stayed up late every night during study leave going over what I didn’t understand. I started maths revision earlier than any other subject. I worked so hard that I started daydreaming about what my reaction would be if I opened my exam results envelope and saw an A in maths staring back at me.

I got an A. And I was so happy. I was ecstatic, crazily so for about three weeks until the excitement wore off and there was no one who hadn’t already heard my exact UMS mark in each of the specific modules I had taken.

GCSE’s are important. They require work, knowledge and dedication. Over the past academic year, I had managed to prove to myself that I was able to do maths and that I was able to get a good grade in it, but I stopped focusing on everything else. My fundamental problem with my GCSE grade was this: I had started to define myself by my own level of productivity. What happened if I hadn’t gotten an A? How would I have taken the news? Would a grade lower than I wanted mean that I wasn’t good enough?

The ruthless way society puts pressure on pupils is destructive. We focus so much on grades that they sometimes feel like they matter more than we do. Henry Thoreau is famously quoted to have said that, “ what you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals”. I’m normally not a fan of aphorisms, but I believe Thoreau was right in this instance. My ambition, in this case, did not matter. It would not have mattered if I didn’t get the grade I wanted because I worked for it, and revised for it, and the end result proved more than my ability to satisfy criteria on a sheet.