Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Thursday 4 June 2015

AMBITION: Its all in the Mind

This is an article about ambition and my ambition. It is my belief that anyone, of any intelligence, can strive to their ambition with the right mind-set. An example would be Albert Einstein; Einstein was not the smartest in his class at school and was known to not do well in examinations. Of course, we know that Einstein became a renowned theoretical physicist who is considered the father of quantum physics. Einstein famously said "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.”. This quote gives us an important message: learn from your mistakes to better your future. Einstein is telling us that with this mind-set we can strive to great things.

My personal ambition is still ambiguous, but I know what I want to do will be to do with some kind of science--specifically astrophysics--and will have some kind of connection to space exploration. Since I was a young child, I have always been deeply intrigued by space and the universe in which we exist within. In fact, with new programmes emerging planning to colonise other planets like Mars, I often contemplate whether I would want to move there in the future. This may seem unlikely to some that we will live on other planets in the next fifty years or so, but with the recent boom of technological advancement it is highly likely that by 2030 there will be humans living on Mars.

Most people when looking at the night sky simply see a plethora of bright stars. I, however, feel a colossal sense of awe as I peer into the grandiose universe. I see the stars as opportunities - opportunities for life, science and advancement of mankind. I wonder whether advanced life, such as us, exists elsewhere in the universe, and if they exist whether we will find them in the next century.

As you can see thus far, my ambition is vastly strong for what I want to do when I am older. Nevertheless, throughout my life I hear pessimistic comments on how in order to become an astrophysicist, astronaut or engineer I need to be the 'best of the best' and need to do the difficultly deemed further maths which many fail at. I avoid computing these comments, however, as I have had the incredible realisation that with the right mind-set, and the right amount of work, anything is possible.