Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Thursday 11 December 2014

INSPIRATION: Where to begin?

I find writing about abstract nouns rather difficult. Why does inspiration occur? What is actual hatred? How is my interpretation of beauty different from yours? …And so on. I was struggling with what inspiration actually meant, but my dictionary helpfully defined it as “the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative”. This would probably explain why I have never been “inspired” to do maths.

I don’t personally like the idea of inspiration. It strikes me as too unbalanced, or unreliable; something that has to be given. The Ancient Greeks would invoke the muses for inspiration when telling the Homeric tales for which their civilsation is renowned. They would say things like “tell me, Muse, the story of that resourceful man who was driven to wander far and wide” or “anger – sing, goddess, the anger of Achilles” and whichever benevolently divine being they believed was in charge of literature at the time would send down a spark of inspiration that would allow them to feed their families for another year.

To me, that isn’t inspiration. It’s not something that can or can’t be given, but rather something that can or can’t happen. Inspiration isn’t about an invocation to a pagan set of gods. It is, instead, the feeling that I get before I run a race, where my heart is beating a little too fast and I feel a bit like I’ve had too many shots of red bull. It’s the night before a particularly important essay or piece of coursework is due, and yet the laptop insists on restarting every half hour. It’s the unrefined panic, the flashes in the dark, the pure and unadulterated inconsistent seeking of a new edge on which for minds to sharpen themselves.


Authors and those involved in the creative arts don’t invoke the muses anymore. At the front of books, I see instead fragments like “For Phyllis, who made me put the dragons in” (Martin’s Game of Thrones) and “For Daisy, who kicked out the walls of my heart”(Donnelly’s Revolution). I think this shows that the human race has come a long way from the Peloponnesian War and Odysseus’ journey home. It is other people, not gods, who have become our inspiration for art in the forms of literature, music and poetry. We have become able to see, through others, the flashes in the dark that otherwise would not have existed without each other.