Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Thursday 17 January 2013

INSPIRATION: The Paralympics


During the time I have spent at JFS, many things have inspired me; wrapping gifts in Club 12 for less fortunate children, Sports Day and more.  However, when I was given the challenge of writing about something that inspired me there was one thing that really stood out.

In the summer holidays, the day before school started, JFS took a group of students including myself to the Paralympic Athletics in the Olympic Stadium.  We watched many Paralympic athletes racing and competing, pushing themselves physically to the limit. 

As I watched with a few of my friends and cheered the various competitors on, I felt so inspired.  I have been in crutches quite a few times and have even been in a wheelchair once due to a rare condition in my legs.  Usually, it has only lasted for up to two months and I was back on my feet again, as though nothing had ever happened.  However, many of the athletes I watched on that day were demobilised permanently, and will always be viewed as different from everyone else. 

Many people, if faced with disability, would shrink and hide away, scared of the reactions of the outside world.  However, these athletes have made the most of their disabilities, and have made their countries, and themselves, proud.  If I were to be faced with a lifelong disability, I would be distraught.  These athletes may have felt that way at first, but in a way, they have used their disabilities to their advantage and have turned their situations around.

Great Britain did exceptionally well, winning medal after medal. The courage, determination, camaraderie, and overall excellence shown by every athlete revealed how well they each represented the Paralympic values that continue to inspire me.  As an avid spectator caught up in the national euphoria, I felt motivated by such amazing athletes to work as hard as I can to achieve great things in life.  Everyone is different and everyone has different life experiences.  This was shown by these athletes, who were, and are, in difficult situations, but have overcome adversity and seen success.

At JFS, we are taught that no matter who you are or what you've been through, you can always do your best and make yourself proud, as these athletes have done. In Physical Education, we are taught to do the best we can and to be proud of our achievements in sports. JFS has created a real legacy from the Olympics and Paralympics – to Inspire a Generation.

JFS has given me the opportunity to witness the sheer skill and determination shown by athletes, for which I am extremely grateful. I have always preferred the Paralympics to the Olympics; it proves that everyone can achieve great things if that is what they desire. The trick is to have the initial motivation.