Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Thursday 17 December 2015

INSPIRATION: The Relentless Personal Statement

I can’t remember a time when I didn't know about the personal statement. It’s a constant presence in my life; an inescapable dread haunts me, like the morbid dog “the Grim” from Harry Potter at my heels.

And then, the day comes. Assembly. “It’s time for you to start thinking about your personal statements”, a sonorous voice booms across the theatre. A girl begins to cry. I finally know I am not mad -- they all see it too! They all see the spectre of UCAS! And yet, this is no victory at all. I feel sick. More people begin to weep. The voice ploughs on, relentless. “You need to explain why you want to study your chosen degree” -- the sentence is broken, suddenly, by the sound of someone wailing “BUT WHAT IF WE DON’T KNOW WHAT WE WANT TO STUDY?”. The cold, glittering eyes find the person and abruptly skitter off them, and everyone sitting near them edges away. They are already done for.

And now it is just me and the blank white page. Not for long, though: the reports start to roll in from my friends that they’ve done it, have conquered the beast -- “I would like to study English Literature because” (Oxford applicant). “Natural Sciences is the best course for me” (Cambridge). “Politics, Philosophy and Economics because” (another Oxford). I am intimidated, and crush this down (I am a good friend!) by helping them edit and adding suggestions: Ctrl+alt+m, add comment, “Nice ending!”. Ctrl+alt+m, “This would make a good body paragraph but you want a snappier opening”. Ctl+alt+m, “Delete! It doesn’t add anything”. Finished -- with their work. Now it is me, the blank white page, and my worries.
Tentatively, I tap a single key. “I”. Nothing terrible happens! I live on! I gain courage, finish a sentence, and begin to move more quickly -- discuss my lifelong love for English Literature, my exalted status as the top borrower of the school library, the books and poems and plays I’ve read and heard and seen and the things I thought about them. It’s fine. It’s fine, and the spectre is gone. I am sprinting, now, I know I can do it. I am inspired. Draft after draft exits the protesting printer, and they are distributed to parents, teachers, friends, relatives, strangers on the street who make eye contact: anyone who stands still long enough. The criticisms roll back, but I am still on the high of inspiration; like a good Literature student would, I learn from the criticisms. I rewrite, I rebuild, stronger. I pay, I click, and I send; the modern veni, vidi, vici.

And out of the corner of my eye I see it. Three thousand words of English coursework -- and my inspiration nowhere to be found.