Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Thursday 17 December 2015

INSPIRATION: Fifty Cent

Although to the outside eye, it may appear that I have very little in common with this man. This man is not from the same continent as me, the same ethnicity as me, nor have we had similar-or even comparable backgrounds. Yet this man continues to be my greatest source of inspiration. He was born as Curtis Jackson III, but you probably know him as 50 cent. The very same 50 cent who had an estimated net worth of $140 million in 2014, and the very same 50 cent who has sold over thirty million records worldwide, with three number one albums.

The reason why I find this man so inspiring is not due to his pure success, but because of all the obstacles in his life he has had to overcome.  As a teenager, growing up in the 21st century can be very challenging at times, and after a long day I return and shut out the world by turning on his music and appreciating just how lucky I am to of lived the life I have in the shelter of being a North-West London Jew. 50 cent wasn’t so fortunate. He grew up on the rough streets of Jamaica, Queens. He never met his father, and his mother was murdered when he was just eight years old. His story isn’t about dominance, it’s about survival. Jackson spent the rest of his childhood in his Grandparents house living with his eight aunts and uncles. Whilst not a glamorous lifestyle by any stretch of the imagination, the fact that his stage name “50 cent” was chosen by him whilst he spent time in boot camp for getting caught selling Class A drugs, to refer to him “providing for myself by any means” is something I can look up to, and to a far lesser extent relate to. 

The next bit of his story in his rise from street poverty to international stardom is what truly inspires me. He started rapping in basements with cheap equipment and no experience. But he worked hard for it. He decided that he had enough of living in what outsiders would call “a ghetto.” Once again he took on the world, and won by defying the odds by creating a controversial track “How to Rob” in just half an hour, that gained attention of several world famous hip hop artists such as the Wu-Tang-Clan, Nas and Jay-Z.  From standing on street corners, hustling for something to eat, to touring worldwide with Nas within the space of a year.

However, amongst all this the single most inspiring factor about this man for me, is rising to stardom despite having nine bullets lodged into his body, in various places, including one in the left cheek which altered his voice which threatened both his life and career before they even had begun.  In his autobiography, From Pieces to Weight: Once upon a Time in Southside Queens, he wrote: "After I got shot nine times at close range and didn't die, I started to think that I must have a purpose in life.” That purpose, the same as his talent was soon to be discovered by the world. From being on the brink of death, to having a global film “Get Rich or Die Tryin” based around his own life in which he plays himself in the film.


I myself was fortunate enough to see him and his rap group G-Unit perform live in London and throughout the entire two and a half hour performance he never let the smile on his face fade. As he said in an interview with BBC radio on the same day “You can’t match the sales, but you can match the energy” and one thing that has remained consistent throughout this man’s career is that he stays hungry and always puts in 100%. In fact, the day that I am writing this piece, 50 Cent is releasing a new mixtape in just a few hours time, and I can honestly state that I cannot wait to hear what this man has to say once again, for he is my inspiration.