Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Tuesday 26 February 2013

AMBTION: Travel Writing


Ever since I was five years old I’ve been interested in flags. Flags of Africa, flags of Asia and flags of Europe, I knew them all, and this burning passion has never died down. I would sit on the carpet – atlas in hand – testing my knowledge on capital cities, populations and the national dish, not satisfied until I knew all that I wanted to know. The desire to be knowledgeable about the countries around us (and their lifestyles) has and always will fascinate me.

Intertwining my love for journalism, geography and sport, I decided perhaps I would become a sports journalist, travelling the globe reporting on the latest sports stories. However was this fulfilling enough? Would I get the recognition I deserve? Would I just be ‘another reporter?’ So I revised my opinion and decided what would be much more fulfilling would be writing; the chance to put my feelings and thoughts across with words rather than actions. The saying goes that actions speak louder than words, but sometimes the world around is just too simply unbelievable and truly beautiful that your heart pours out words onto paper.

I’d never known a lot about travel writing. Often I would see my parents reading a travel magazine and look at the pictures, imagining the possibility to visit these spectacular sites throughout the world. I never took note of the words though. But as I grew and became more interested in writing, I started to realise that there is much more beauty in the writing than there is in the pictures, even though the photographs may be great to sit and stare at.
           
And that is how my ambition grew, to be a Michael Palin or Bill Bryson, but bringing my own small twist to the genre of travel writing.