Welcome

Welcome to JFS School's official Blog. This is our third year of the blog and represents a chance for our new team of intrepid student journalists to write what's on their minds. The Autumn term’s blog theme focuses on “Inspiration” - so stay tuned for some fantastic creative writing.


Tuesday 5 February 2013

AMBITION: Journalism


Ambition
“Now, more from our sports correspondent..........”
When I used to be asked what my ambition was, I didn’t really know what to say back, but now I know it is this- to become a journalist. 

JFS has played a huge part in helping me develop this ambition. Being part of the Student journalist programme has further encouraged me to work towards this goal. The student journalists have heard talks from people in the fields of print, broadcast and documentary style journalism. We also went on a trip to a Sky news programme, recently set up- especially for schools in which we produced our own broadcast news piece. Not only this, but in year 8 JFS takes part in  the BBC school report programme; although I was not fortunate enough to take part, it was really fascinating to read and even see the work that my peers had produced, this included everything from weather forecasts to extremely detailed articles. 

Additionally, I am developing skills that I might need to become a journalist in lots of my lessons. For instance, in geography I have just learnt about blood diamonds and we got the chance to write a newspaper style article on it, it was marked as an article not as an essay. Furthermore, in history we are learning all about the world around us and how it developed to become what it is now. Only recently we learnt about examples of dictatorships and looked at modern examples. These will all help me on my road to becoming a journalist.

‘Ambition’ is described in the dictionary as “an earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, as power, honour, fame, or wealth, and the willingness to strive for its attainment.”.  JFS has helped me to decide that my desire is that I want to be a journalist. I have the willingness to strive for this, maybe one day you will be reading an article by the same author in a well known newspaper.